Happy new year, everyone! I had such wonderful holidays and I hope you did too! I am ready for the new year feeling inspired with new ideas for the shop and blog. The past few weeks were spent reconnecting with family, i was lucky to have a white christmas, i think that was the second time I’ve ever had one, and just relaxing before getting back into the groove of non-holiday rush life.
This time of year lots of us think about how we want the next year to be different, better-achieve our goals and dreams. I don’t care for making resolutions because my goals tend to always be the same, like- exercise more, be more organized, spend less, etc. So while in the process of organizing and reducing clutter in my home i decided to let go of all the things I hang onto for “someday.” I started with my closets!
There are several ways to achieve a clutter free closet for-ever. This is how I did it and how you can too!
1. remove all your clothes that just no longer work for you, something you never really liked anyway, just doesn’t fit or even something that doesn’t go with anything else you own, I love Audrey’s post on how to build a re-mixable wardrobe.
2. Organize – arrange similar clothes together.
- You can even go ahead and arrange further by color. I like to arrange from light to dark. I also use different colored hangers to separate the different types of clothes(e.g. long sleeve, short sleeve, etc.)
3. Here’s the best tip: Use some method of keeping track of the pieces you don’t wear!
- Reverse the hangers. All the clothes I believe I want to keep and wear have hangers that are facing away from me. When it’s time rehang it, put it back facing the normal direction. Every 6-12 months (or whatever schedule you choose) donate those items that are still reversed because you never wore them.
- I also like this method from Elsie from A Beautiful Mess uses here.
- Another tip for paring down your closest is the capsule method. you’ve heard of that right? If not, here is a great explanation.
Look at all those clothes I removed! Before I weeded through all my clothes I thought about buying more hangers. I’m really glad I went this route instead!
If you’ve ready to purge all the clutter give these methods a try, I highly recommend it, clutter free feels so good! Or if you have your own tried and true closet clutter solution, feel free to share, I’d love to hear about it.